Thursday, February 12, 2009

Parenting SOLO sucks eggs...

I went to the bus stop to pick the kids up and arrived there just as the bus was driving away. Junior didn't want to get in the van and insisted on walking home. Emily was already crying. I asked Emily what was wrong and was a tad upset to find out that it was because of her brother's own doing. I'm trying to take this CALM-ASSERTIVE approach to parenting solo but I don't think I am getting far with it. I asked Junior why he pushed her and was told that it was because there wasn't enough room. I'm not sure what that means, but I asked him to say, "Excuse me" instead of pushing people out of the way. It was followed by him pouting and whining that he didn't want to say that because it's booooring.

Upon arriving home he decided he didn't want to exit the vehicle, so I used my handy-dandy countdown and was able to get him out, only to have him drop his stuff and have it blown away by the cold wind. He stomped into the house and dumped his belongings on his bedroom floor. Minutes later I heard Emily crying from the bathroom. When I went to investigate, I discovered that Junior was not letting her urinate because he felt he was entitled to use the bathroom before her, despite the fact that she was in it. It was clear that he was simply instigating and looking for a fight. I asked him to leave the bathroom, and disgruntled he proceeded to crumple all of his homework worksheets and throw them on the floor. When I asked him, "What is your problem?" He responded with, "I don't want to have any sisters to take care of, not even one."

I left him along and during that time he proceeded to cry. Still remaining calm at this out pour of emotion, I tried to inquire as to what was bothering him. He said he wanted to run away because he didn't want to do homework. I tried to make him see the logic behind running away by asking him where he would sleep, how he would keep the cold at bay and what he would eat. I came to my wits end and presented him with TWO options. One: He could pick up the crumpled pieces of homework and do it, or TWO: He could could pick up the crumpled pieces of homework and put them away in his backpack WITHOUT doing them. I told him that the decision was his to make but that the HAD to make a decision about it or there would be repercussions. He decided that he would do his homework and obediently picked up his homework and sat at the table to work on it.

He is not yet finished with his homework, but at least he's not crying. He ate his plate of spaghetti and even served himself a bowl of cereal. I'm really trying to not let things like these get to me, but I lack the patience to TALK THINGS OUT when little people refuse to communicate. It's like talking to a wall.

The girls (Emily and Emma) also had a disagreement, but following King Solomon's lead I told them that they could either SHARE or that I'd put it away completely. I asked Emma to WAIT HER TURN and Emily obliged when she finished playing her game. I really, really hope that this is a sign of things to come.

Anyway, I'm pooped from this ordeal. I feel a tickle in the back of my throat that seems to be creeping up to my ears. I certainly hope it's not an oncoming ear infection, cause Lord knows that's the last thing I need. Well, I gotta try and put some sort of normalcy back into our lives, so I'm off to start the bathing....

No comments:

Post a Comment