Monday, March 23, 2009

Emily - School Brag

We had parent-teacher conferences last week. I'm really happy with the kids' progress. I'm sure there is more I could be doing to help them do better in school, but maintaining the household on my own drains me... so I'm just happy they are doing well.

Emily is doing awesome in 1st grade. In the beginning I was apprehensive about it because I tend to focus more on reading with the kids when they are at home. Even though we do math exercises of sorts, I don't really focus on it. I'm proud to report that Emily exceeds all benchmark target goals. She got a perfect score on BOTH benchmark test. 100%! I'm so happy she caught on so quickly and even happier that she is not struggling with it because of my lack of instruction.

As far as reading goes.... well, almost every teacher that knows about her scores are in awe. The school district uses the DIBELS benchmark testing. DIBELS stands for Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills.

"Phoneme Segmentation" - she is supposed to separate the individual sounds within a word. The target for this time of the year is 35. Her score is 64.

"Nonsense World Fluency" - she is supposed to use her phonics skills when given a list of make-believe words. The purpose of the test is to see if the student has the ability to put the sounds and letters together to form words. The target for this time of year is at least 50. Her score is 71

"Oral Reading Fluency" - this measures how many words per minute she can read. The text is unfamiliar and the are expected to go in and read. The target for this time of year is 30. Her score is 119. (This is where JAWS DROP. Her oral fluency is that of a fourth grade student at least.)

"Word Usage Fluency" - this measures her vocabulary and oral language abilities. At this time of year they expect the child's score to be above the 40th percentile. Her score is in the 72th percentile... which is OFF THE CHARTS for 1st grade.

As far as her report card goes, she has O's (for Outstanding) for almost EVERYTHING except one subject. Her number grades are all 90 or above (88 for writing this time around - she had a 92 last quarter). Her teacher can't tell me enough what a joy she is to teach because she "has a great curiosity for learning."

As far as socializing with other kids -- she has a bunch of friends in both first grade and kindergarten and is quite popular with both groups. The teacher tells me that her kinder classmates will spot her in the cafeteria and run over to her to say hi and give hugs. I'm so proud of her and I hope she keeps this up.

Okay... bragging over. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment