Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bawl-ing!

Today we went BAWL-ING. That's how the little kids say bowling around here. We never correct them because we think it's so stinkin' adorable. We love to hear them say their mispronounced words. I guess you could say that we even encourage it, since we use the words ourselves. Jesse is determined to make the most of the kids' winter break, so bawl-ing we went.

Kids were excited as all get out. We hadn't been bowling since the day before school began, and they were eager to get back on that horse. There were some glitches with the overall experience however, beginning with the person in charge (at the bowling alley) not allowing Junior to use the bumpers. At first I didn't think much of it, since I figured maybe Junior could still bowl without the assistance of bumpers. After his first try though, he was pretty upset with only making gutter balls while his sisters were able to use the safety of the bumpers. I went back to talk to the lady and she refused to budge on her "guidelines" of no bumpers for children that were taller than the counter. We tried to encourage Junior to try it one more time, but it was the same thing: gutter balls. This time, Jesse went and talked to her. He returned determined to end the afternoon of bawl-ing and get a refund. Fortunately, Junior realized that he was giving up too easily and declared that he would bowl without the bumpers. I tried to take a few pictures of the action, but eventually had to drop everything and entertain Evelyn.

While looking after her, the little bugger made her way onto a bowling lane. I swear, by the way that kid was walking on that floor you would never have been able to tell that it was as slippery as it was. I walked onto that lane to retrieve her with such confidence, I never would have expected to fall so fast and so hard on my butt. LOL. I laugh thinking of what a spectacle it must have been. I scooted my way out of the bowling lane, with Evelyn firmly within my grasp.

After several quarters and a bruised butt later, I returned to our assigned lane to find that the owner of the establishment had showed up and tried to make up for the disagreement we had with the person in charge. She gave Junior some ice cream, since he was forced to bowl with no bumpers and offered us all a second free game, this time with bumpers for all the kiddos. DH and I switched places (he was the one bowling with the kids) and he watched Evelyn while I proceeded to get my fingers stuck in holes too small for my digits. After a few broken nails, the lowest score of the afternoon (mine), a bruised butt, not to mention - ego, we called it a day and headed back home. I'm glad the kids had fun today.

No comments:

Post a Comment