Thursday, February 07, 2008

Night #2 -- Pukey Kid

I'm EXHAUSTED. Like completely and totally. I'd fall asleep right here at the desk if I could. Somehow, I don't think the wireless keyboard would make that great a pillow, and to be honest, it probably couldn't handle a few drips of drool.

So today went as smooth as it possibly could with minimal sleep, a baby that has a fever on and off all day long and two other kiddos that still need attention. Had a very busy morning, trying to get the kids dressed and out the door so that Junior could go to school, and the girls and I to wal-mart in search of the fever suppositories. Emma was miserable the WHOLE time and Emily wanted to SHOP (gawd, this kid inherited my shopping gene). Got the meds, got some gatorade and came back home.

Emma's fever broke early in the AM - about nine o'clock - and she seemed like her old self again. I let her munch on some dry cereal and gatorade. She doodled and played with the leapster and was all over the place. At the same time, I was trying to keep my eyes open to enjoy her brief moment of health, alas I was too tired. I eventually dozed off for a few minutes only to find Emma standing right next to me with a book she wanted me to read.

DH called at noon to check-up on both of us. At that point Emma was doing fine, I was gonna survive and things were starting to look up. I went back to bed after giving Emily a lunch consisting of a PB sandwich with milk and Emma followed. Then she closed her eyes as if wanting to nap and I braced myself for all hell to break loose... and it did.

At that point I administered another suppository and prayed and hoped that her brief nap would magically transform her to the rested and cheery baby she is. NO SUCH LUCK. From that point on she didn't want me to leave her side, and was very warm. Her temperature was 101.7 and climbed steadily. At about 5 p.m. it was 103.5. The only good thing was that she was still keeping down the dry cereal and gatorade.

I went to Walgreens with all three kids to pick up some motrin, be kool gel patches and diapers and stopped by McD's to get "dinner." She amazingly ate some fries and more gatorade and then she decided she wanted to go to bed... where she has been for most of the evening. I was able to give her some Motrin and Tylenol combination to try and bring the fever down and I let her munch on ice chips as a way of hydrating her.

As of right now her temperature is 101.3 and I really hope it's an indication that she is on the mend. Lets hope I make it through one more night of practically no sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment